New and innovative model building strategy enables modeling in additive manufacturing (3D printing) with free-form modeling layers for model building. For this purpose, a planning software is being developed that calculates the process paths in a manner comparable to conventional slicing programs, but taking into account the orientation of the process head by the robot that is possible with the system. With the development of appropriate modelling strategies it is possible to model components with overhangs, which can be produced without the otherwise necessary support structures. In addition, material can be applied to existing, free-formed surfaces and the direction of the strand can be influenced, for example to increase the strength of components.
The procedure offers the following essential advantages, which increase the chances of using additive manufacturing methods in industrial production processes:
- Reduction of the planning process and construction time
- Savings in production materials
- No post-processing to remove the support structures
- Adding material to existing surfaces
- Influencing the strand direction for model building
- Flexible and large installation space according to the working range of the robot